Home > Experts > Income Tax > TAXABILITY OF UNIFORM WASHING ALLOWANCE

TAXABILITY OF UNIFORM WASHING ALLOWANCE (Income Tax)

28 March 2011

I am getting uniform washing allowance as part of my salary. It continued to be exempt from tax u/s 10 (14)till now, without providing any declaration.

Now as part of our pay revision , washing allowance was also marginally increased. Our employer is not willing to give income tax exemption for arrears of washing allowance. Our employer is of the view that arrrears of income is fully taxable,even if it were otherwise exempted.

We are of the view that,exemption can be given to employees, since we had incurred higher amount for washing of uniforms and that was the reason for revising the washing allowance for earlier years also

So advise, whether we will get exemption for arrears of washing allownace?

If not, please specify the relavant provisions of the act

Vivek Raju P

28 March 2011

Any allowance is exempt only to the extent of actual expenditure incurred for the purpose for which it is given. There is nothing an employer can do here.

Other views welcome