Avail 50% discount on all online CA classes for May Exam(access till May 20th). Use coupon code MAY15

Home > Experts > Income Tax > Section 54 of income tax act

Please Wait ..

to your account


Remember Me

Forgot your password?

Sign-up now

Join CAclubindia.com and Share your Knowledge. Registered members get a chance to interact at Forum, Ask Query, Comment etc.

Section 54 of income tax act (Income Tax)

Report Abuse
This query is : Open

( Author )
20 May 2013

Mr. X, a Non Resident has sold a resi. property(A) in FY 2012-13 and earned Capital Gain of Rs.70 Lacs. Mr X already owns another resi. property(B) in India. Mr X wants to invest his capital gain amount in order to claim exemption.
No the query is:

1. Is exemption u/s 54 is applicable to a Non Resident?
2. If Yes for 1. , then can he claim exemption if he invests the gain in another resi. property(C) when he already owns another resi. Property (B)?
3. If yes for 2. Then can he buy a property abroad and claim exemption?

Member (Account Deleted)

( Expert )
21 May 2013

Your answer:

1 Section 54 applicable to Individual and HUF irrespective of their status (means whether R or NR)

2 Section 54 do not make any bar on number of residencial properties chargeable under the Income from House Property, in possesion or hold by assesse.

3 Also, it is no where mentioned that property must be situated in India only, hence property may be situated outside India also

Ankit Jain

( Author )
21 May 2013

Now since the due date is arriving, can Mr X deposit the money in Capital Gains Account Scheme a/c. How can he utilize the same in foreign country if the bank doesn't have any branch over there?

Member (Account Deleted)

( Expert )
21 May 2013

money should be deposited in the bank, having a scheme of capital gain scheme account, not in any other account for e.g saving or other, otherwise no exemption is eligible.

Please make sure the bank provide relevant deposit scheme.

Or amount can be utilized to purchase a property

Ankit Jain

( Author )
21 May 2013

But how can Mr. X utilize the money if it is in an account in India and the bank doesnt have a branch in USA where he lives.
Is there any procedure to transfer the money to USA



You need to be the querist or approved CAclub expert to take part in this query .

Click here to login ( Members Login ) now

Similar Resolved Queries :


Quick Links

back to the top