sec-277A of Income Tax Act

15 February 2010

i want to know that "is CA covered in this section, if he maintains books of accounts of his client and books of accounts are not true as per available documents

B.Chackrapani Warrier (Expert)
15 February 2010

Section 277 and 277A begins with almost similar words. In the context of section 277 Madras High Court has ruled as follows:-
Section 277 uses the words ˜If a person makes" and not the words ˜If an assessee makes". Hence, section 277 applies in respect of any person and is not confined merely to an assessee.
Citation:- K.V. Narasimhan v. ITO [1994] 209 ITR 797 (Mad.)
Consequently,as per my understanding,in the given situation CA will be covered in section 277A.