Sec 194j of income tax act

27 July 2012

As per Not. No 88/2008, Event Managers only in relation to sports are covered by 194 J and rest are not covered by this sec. Now one of my client is deducting TDS u/s 194J saying that every event manager is covered by this section. I am arraning events in relations to promotion of shops & stores etc.
With the reference of case law pl help whether i am covered by sec 194c or194j.

Amol S Joglekar (Expert)
27 July 2012

There is a growing tendency on the part of DEDUCTORS to go by the maximum rate of TDS in case of slightest doubt. You, therefore need to strike a balance between getting the opinion on this vis a vis getting a certificate from ITO for lower TDS vis a vis your tax liability. After all this is your advance tax.