Return filed in wrong jurisdiction

27 October 2013

Dear Sir, I manually filled my Return for A.Y. 2012-13, for that year my refund was around 13k. so when i inquired for my refund , my A.O told me that you filled your return in wrong jurisdiction. So what is the procedure? should i file Revised return or may draft a letter to my A.O to transfer my file in Right jurisdiction? Please guide me ?

ANIL SULEGAI PREMANATH (Expert)
28 October 2013

The Assessing Officers usually transfer the files to the right Jurisdictional AO if the file does not belong to them.

However to speed up the process you may file a letter to the A O and CC it to the right jurisdictional A O. And also follow up the things regularly.

You need not file the Revised return.

Going forward i always suggest you to file your return online to avoid these kinds of unnecessary problems.

Most of the refunds are processed within 3 months from the date of receipt of signed ITRV by the Income Tax C P C.

Hope this resolves your query