Home > Experts > Income Tax > Notice under Sec 221(1) of the Income tax act,1961

Notice under Sec 221(1) of the Income tax act,1961 (Income Tax)

28 January 2009

Dear Expert/s,
I have received a notice from income tax dept under section 221(1). The nature of demand is 143(1), whereby an amount of rs 6210 is been asked from me for the assessment year 2007-08. My question is that i have been paying tax on timely basis to Income Tax dept, then why such a notice has come to me? Secondly what i need to do in these circumstances, as i m asked to be at the Income tax office on 5-feb-09? Pls reply

CA Parvin Ahuja

28 January 2009

You have received intimation under section 143(1)(a) so you can compare with the details with you as to what is the reason for demand. Quite possible credit for some tax paid or TDS might not have been given. You can approach the concerned I T O with all the necessary papers and your problem would be solved.

Rohit Kumar

28 January 2009

Thanks Mr Parvin for your prompt reply. As per your advice i have compared the details of the figures filed by me in the return form. There is one mistake. I have added my income as a professional to my salary income. This the reason why a notice is being served to me. But for my professional income and salary income, i have Form 16 A and Form 16 respectively. Tax in Form 16 A is deducted @ 5 % and tax in Form 16 is deducted as per the IT Slabs. How can i justify this to the assessing officer that i have made a mistake by chance? Pls reply. Thanks in advance

CA Nitin Wadhwani

08 February 2009

U can draft a covering letter and post u r reply to AO and cancel the demand raised.