Home > Experts > Income Tax > Income from house property (co-owner issue)

Income from house property (co-owner issue) (Income Tax)

31 January 2014

Iam a co-owner in two house properties. I pay interest on house loan on property "A" on which I claim loss under house property. On the same property "A" my mother receives the rental income and shows that as her income from house property in ITR. In Property "B", my father pays the interest on house loan and claims loss under house property. On the same property "B" I receive rental income and show that as my income from house property.

Can the same scheme as mentioned above is valid in terms of income tax laws i.e. can I show income from house property from property "B" and claim loss under house property from property "A".

Also is it necesarry for an assessee to claim income and loss under house property together in case of co-ownership. Cant I split the two between the co-owners, i.e. lets say income in the hands of my mother and loss I claim. Is it valid?

Pls reply asap.

@VaibhavJ

31 January 2014

Hi

Income & loss goes hand in hand, you can claim certain % of income from both or single property.

Thx