commission received as insurance and mutual fund agent

Querist : Anonymous (Querist) 03 August 2010

Are there any provisions to offset commissions received as insurance and mutual fund agent? If not, then what kind of expenses can be claimed so as to reduce tax liability.

B.Chackrapani Warrier (Expert)

Pl see http://www.caclubindia.com/experts/lic-commission-agent-444470.asp

Thank you so much Sir. The information is really very useful. Sir, I still have two questions: 1. Is this circular applicable to private insurance companies also. 2. What if the income is more that Rs.60,000/-

CA. Pradeep Nayak (Expert)

1. The circular specifically mentions 'insurance agents of LIC'. In my opinion, the circular is not applicable to agents of private insurance companies.

2. If the income is more than Rs. 60,000/- the agent has to maintain proper books of accounts to claim any deduction and also provide supporting documents to substantiate the claim. In the absence of books & supportings, allowability of any claim of deduction is left to the sole discretion of the Assessing officer.

Querist : Anonymous (Querist) 12 August 2010

Thank you Sir.