Home > Experts > Audit > CARO 2004

CARO 2004 (Audit)

20 July 2010

Need to know what is required to be reported in clause XI regarding default in payment of due to Banks/FI/Debenture.

Whether default means payment beyond 90 days delay or it means delay even by 1 day.

Aditya Maheshwari

20 July 2010

See there is difference between delay and default. Delay means the same has been paid after due date and default means the same has not been paid for a long period of time.

So for the purpose of CARO delay in payment over a reasonable period say 60 - 90 days should be considered as a default and not every delay in payment of dues.

In the report you could mentioned as under

"In our opinion and according to information and explanation given to us, during the year Company has made some delay in repayment of some dues to financial institutions. However, there were no such dues outstanding as on date of Balance Sheet."

RAJESH

21 July 2010

Thanks,But I need to know as per CARO what is required to be mentioned whether only default needs to be mentioned or even delay is also required to be mentioned.To the best of my knowledge and as per the language of CARO only defalut i.e.account has become NPA as per bank norm needs to be emntioned.Do you have any guidence note as issued by Institute

Aditya Maheshwari

21 July 2010

Visit this link for the CARO
http://www.caclubindia.com/news/statement-on-the-companies-auditor-s-report-order-2003-6118.asp

RAJESH

21 July 2010

I have already visited this link.It says that auditor should report the period and amount of all defaults existing at the balance sheet date.

What does that mean. To me it means only defaults which are existing on the balance sheet date needs to be mentioned and any defaults which have occured during the year but not existing on the balance sheet date is not required to be mentioned.

Do you agree or not

Aditya Maheshwari

21 July 2010

The point reads as
Whether the company has defaulted in repayment of dues to a financial institution or bank or debenture holders? If yes, the period and amount of default to be reported;

Where it is mentioned it should be existing on the balance sheet date only.

RAJESH

22 July 2010

Please refer page no 57 in your link first para of 66 comments last line

Aditya Maheshwari

22 July 2010

It states as at the balance sheet date the defaults should be stated which means actual default in payment and which have not been paid should be reported and not delay in payment.