Applicability of TDS on Ocean Freight

Whether TDS is required to be deducted on the payment of Ocean Freight on Export?

B.Chackrapani Warrier (Expert)

If payment is made to foreign shipping companies, provisions of section 172 shall apply and those of sections 194C and 195 will not apply.
Whereas Carriage of Goods by sea is subject to TDS when paying to resident shipping companies and freight forwarders u/s 194C.

CA Manikandan.A.V (Expert)

I agree with Chakrapani Sir. To add to that if Ocean Freight paid to an an Indian Company which is an Agent of Foreign Shipping Company, TDS is not applicable.