Updating Bank Account as a Legal Heir

Ramanathan Venkat (3 Points)

25 February 2022  

I am facing an issue in the efiling portal and would appreciate if my professional colleagues can help/offer advice:

1. My mother died in June 2020. I am the legal heir of my mother and filed my mother's Income Tax return for the AY 2020-21 without any issue. (There was no TDS or Tax to Pay.) When I had filed the return there was no need to validate PAN-AADHAR for Bank Information. Income Tax Website had my mother's Bank Account.

2. For the AY 2021-22, there was a TDS on Dividend paid to her in April 2020 and I have to claim the refund from the Department for which I am trying to add my Bank account (as the legal heir). I am not able to add my Bank Account to receive the refund. My Mother's Bank account is closed and cannot be validated for filing the return or receiving the refund.

Can any of the forum members advice me as to how I should proceed adding my Bank Account in the Portal (As Legal Representative) to receive the refund. When I try adding it through the menu provided, it is not accepting. I have raised several tickets with the Income Tax Department and they are not helping in any way? Truly appreciate your time in answering the question.