Please Wait ..

Sign-in to your account

Username:
Password:

Remember Me

Forgot your password?

Sign-up now

Join CAclubindia.com and Share your Knowledge. Registered members get a chance to interact at Forum, Ask Query, Comment etc.

Discussion > Service Tax > Queries >

Service tax interest & Penalty

Pages : 1

Job

[ Scorecard : 229]
Posted On 24 September 2009 at 19:29 Report Abuse

Hi all of you,

Can anybody tell me, how much interest & Penalty (Seperate) will be counted on service tax from Oct-2007(Service tax received in Oct-07from our client) while deposit challan in Oct-09. please describe me in detail.

Thanks

Sunil

Online classes for CA CS CMA

EKALABYA TALUKDAR
SERVICE TAX CONSULTANT

[ Scorecard : 620]
Posted On 28 September 2009 at 07:14

Originally posted by :Sunil
" Hi all of you,
Can anybody tell me, how much interest & Penalty (Seperate) will be counted on service tax from Oct-2007(Service tax received in Oct-07from our client) while deposit challan in Oct-09. please describe me in detail.
Thanks
Sunil
"

PAYING INTEREST IS SELF ASSESSMENT SYSTEM

INTEREST RATE IS 13% FOR A YEAR, CALCULATE FROM THE DATE OF DEFAULTER TO THE PERIOD YOU ARE DEPOSITING MONEY

PENALTY WILL BE CALCULATED BY THE AUTHORITY

BUT STILL KNOW THE ACT = 76

76. Penalty for failure to pay service tax   
        Any person, liable to pay service tax in accordance with the provisions of section 68 or the rules made under this Chapter, who fails to pay such tax, shall pay, in addition to such tax and the interest on that tax amount in accordance with the provisions of section 75, a penalty which shall not be less than two hundred rupees for every day during which such failure continues or at the rate of two per cent. of such tax, per month, whichever is higher, starting with the first day after the due date till the date of actual payment of the outstanding amount of service tax:

Provided that the total amount of the penalty payable in terms of this section shall not exceed the service tax payable.

Gautam Joshi
Partner

[ Scorecard : 361]
Posted On 02 October 2009 at 11:57

Hi Sunil,

Akalabya is absolutely right.

What I am suggesting is pay the penalty with interest. It would be benefitail as we should not in any way delay the government dues.

There are 2 Replies to this message

Related Files