Please Wait ..

to your account


Remember Me

Forgot your password?

Sign-up now

Join and Share your Knowledge. Registered members get a chance to interact at Forum, Ask Query, Comment etc.

Discussion > Income Tax > ITR >

Income Tax intimation U/S 143(1)

    Post New Topic
Pages : 1 2 3 4

Related Files

Technical Specialist

[ Scorecard : 32]
Posted On 21 April 2010 at 21:37 Report Abuse


I received an intimation from Income Tax for A.Y. 2008-2009. According to that I am liable to pay more TAX Amount ! How is this possible ? I had already paid and filed my return through my company. And, our Tax is always deducted in the salary. So, I see no confusion in return filing.Then I had paid an additional Self-Assessment tax too ? So, what does this new intimation letter means ? That too for 2008-2009 ?



Please help.

Online classes for CA CS CMA

Share on

Chartered Accountant

[ Scorecard : 291]
Posted On 21 April 2010 at 21:49

Assessments usually operate on a 2 year lag period, assessment orders/notices for the period AY 2008-09 will be coming in AY 2010-11, like in your case.


It is not necessary that you have to pay that tax, sometimes there is a mistake while a summary assessment is done of your return, one has to go through the order to determine how the liability has been calculated and on what basis. In case of a mistake in the IT department's reading, an application can be filed informing them of the mistake.


Don't worry!

Mohit Jangid

[ Scorecard : 141]
Posted On 21 April 2010 at 23:50

ya u dont need to worry but make sure that you reply within 30 days

Technical Specialist

[ Scorecard : 32]
Posted On 22 April 2010 at 09:02

HI All,

Thanks for your replies. What should I reply within 30 Days. How do I proceed from here now ?

CA Hema

[ Scorecard : 133]
Posted On 22 April 2010 at 11:13

hi anshuman

file again a copy of ur last return(i.e return of AY 08-09) if u think that none of ur income escaped in return. if u have missed to show any income in last return then revice the return with actual income and correct tax.

Total thanks : 1 times

Chartered Accountant

[ Scorecard : 291]
Posted On 22 April 2010 at 11:48

Well, you don't really need to file the revised return just as of now, it depends on what basis the Order under 143(1) has come. It's best if you talk to your CA and show him the order, or type the text of the order here to invite our views on how the same should be handled.

Sathyanarayanan. CA Final

[ Scorecard : 505]
Posted On 22 April 2010 at 11:52

Dear Angshuman,

1. Compare the intimation and your return of income.

2. If the mistake is found in  intimation then just send reply letter by pointing mistakes and enclose sufficient proof. For example, if they failed to consider self assessment tax paid by or your TDS claim then enclose copy of self assessment tax challan or TDS certificate. If there is mistake in caluclation then provide correct calculation in your reply.

3. If the mistake in your return of income then file revise return.

Technical Specialist

[ Scorecard : 32]
Posted On 22 April 2010 at 14:24


I am not conversant with these terms. But, what I can see inthe Form is the following are not matching with the income of return -

1. Income From Salary

2. Gross Total Income (after Intra head adjustments)

3. Total Income after deductions

4. Tax on Total Income


6. Gross Tax Liability Before Tax Relief

7. TDS

Additionally, there are huge sums against these items

234A Interest, 234B & 234C.



Total thanks : 1 times


[ Scorecard : 22]
Posted On 22 April 2010 at 15:13


thanks to all for creating this thread.I recieved a similar initmation where the computations are totally incorrect .I understand that I should send an application for rectification(under section 154) along with supporting proofs.

Can someone kindly guide me on how & where to submit this application 



Aditya Maheshwari
CA in Practice

[ Scorecard : 35395]
Posted On 22 April 2010 at 15:17

If you are a salaried person having no income other than salary income on which TDS has been deducted the there is a chance that interest u/s 234C might have been charged by the department to you as has happened in so many case recently due to a software error at the time of processing return at Bandra Income Tax office in Mumbai.

There are about 150,000 such cases and you must write a letter to the ITO who has issued the intimation to rectify the said intimation stating that interest u/s 234C was wronglly charged to you and please rectify the intimation u/s 154.

Total thanks : 1 times

There are 33 Replies to this message

Related Threads

Post your reply for Income Tax intimation U/S 143(1)

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to login

Not a member yet ?? Click here to signup



  • Use thank button to convey your appreciation.
  • Maintain professionalism while posting and replying to topics.
  • Try to add value with your each post.

Forum Home | Forum Portal | Member Control Center | Who is Where | Popular Threads | Today's Topic | Recent Posts | Today's Posts | Post New Topic | Thread With Files | Top Threads This Month | Forum Stats | Unreplied Threads

back to the top