Get 20% discount & Revise your CA subjects with online video classes – Coupon code: RSLT20


Please Wait ..

to your account


Remember Me

Forgot your password?

Sign-up now

Join and Share your Knowledge. Registered members get a chance to interact at Forum, Ask Query, Comment etc.

Discussion > Income Tax > Efiling >

How to carry forward short term capital loss

    Post New Topic
Pages : 1

Related Files


[ Scorecard : 35]
Posted On 11 July 2011 at 23:18 Report Abuse

Dear all friends,

I am first time e filing my Income Tax return (ITR 2) as I have salary income and short term capital loss in shares transaction.

Please help me as I have some doubt while e filing my it return.

1.        My net short term capital loss in shares  (including delivery and intra day) is Rs 28786/-.  (Total short Trem gain is Rs 31778/- and Total Short term loss is Rs 60564/- My qn is that in ITR 2, under Sch CG,  whether I have to  mention Full consideration value of shares sold in that F.Y. (and inclding intraday transaction value) in A2a and cost of acqisition in A2bi. Or I have to directly show the loss in A5. (If yes then total consideration value and acqusition value comes to More than Rs 40 lacs, then should this figure to be mentioned in that column)?


When I am showing loss, in A5 then negative figures is not accepting.


2.        Since there is short term capital loss (in my case), will I have to fill the C in Sch CG which is quaterly statement of capital gains.

3.        In Sch CYLA, where to mention short term capital loss in shares transcation . (Should I mention it in Colmn 3 iii. Or some other place. please help.

4.        How to carry forward the loss for future.

5.       Where to mention long term capital gain in shares transaction. I hope this is to be mentioned in SCH EI Point 3.  My doubt is whether this is to be mentioned in Sch CG, 2a and 2biii.

I hope some of seniors must help me out for my querries.






Online classes for CA CS CMA

Share on

U S Sharma

[ Scorecard : 19507]
Posted On 11 July 2011 at 23:38

share your other source of income also, before discussing the topic. 


intraday trading is speculation loss, it can not be adjusted.

short term capital loss can be carried forward for set off upto 8 subsequent years.

short term capital gain should be set off with short term capital loss in current year, then only your STCL can be carried forward.


[ Scorecard : 23]
Posted On 05 July 2012 at 14:48

how to fill in itr 2, short term capita loss is rs 20000 and loss brought forward in future years


Ankur Trivedi
Account Assistant

[ Scorecard : 31]
Posted On 10 February 2014 at 19:39

I have filled ITR 2 for A.Y. 2012-13 as on 31-03-2013. i had claim short term capital loss on sale of Property in that return. Now i want to file IT Return for A.Y. 2013-14. So which type of return i have to file, ITR-1 or ITR-2. If i have to file ITR 2 then have i carry forward STCL or not.

Please Guide me. It's Urgent.

Ankur Trivedi

There are 3 Replies to this message

Related Threads

Post your reply for How to carry forward short term capital loss

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to login

Not a member yet ?? Click here to signup



  • Use thank button to convey your appreciation.
  • Maintain professionalism while posting and replying to topics.
  • Try to add value with your each post.

Forum Home | Forum Portal | Member Control Center | Who is Where | Popular Threads | Today's Topic | Recent Posts | Today's Posts | Post New Topic | Thread With Files | Top Threads This Month | Forum Stats | Unreplied Threads

back to the top