Service Tax Registration No.

Jaideep (13 Points)

10 May 2007  
We print the 15 digit PAN based service tax registration no. on our service tax bills.

One of my client says that we should quote both the 15 digit PAN based STC no. as well as the service tax registration code  which starts with M-IV..... They have asked us a copy of the original service tax allotment number as well as a copy of the service tax registration code no.

I have given them the reference of telephone service providers who only mention their 15 digit PAN based service tax no. on their bills. There must surely be several organizations who must be claiming credit on their service tax on telephone bills on the basis of this no. printed on the bills.

They say that they require the service tax registration code to claim service tax credit. My client claims that merely quoting 15 digit service tax no. is insufficient to claim service tax credit.  I want to know whether both are mandatory to claim service tax credit or is the 15 digit PAN based service tax no. sufficient for the customer to claim service tax credit.

I also want to know whether the client is within his rights to demand copies of service tax allotment no. given to us by the department.