Dedicated to all the female members of CCI !!

CS LLB Pulkit Gupta (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Life-and-Promises/553962034682487)   (16631 Points)

07 March 2011  

International Women's Day 2011

The worth of a civilization can be judged by the place given to women in the society”

8th March 2011 is gonna be a very special day coz 2011 year marks the 100th anniversary of International Women’s Day. It is a very difficult task to define the importance of Women in one article. Contribution of Indian women and their struggle to leave their mark in this man dominated society is itself a history.

In no way less than Men

“The education and empowerment of women throughout the world cannot fail to result in a more caring, tolerant, just and peaceful life for all,” by Aung San Suu Kyi

Traditionally, the status and role of women in Indian society have been considered lower than those of men. This is closely related to the Indian kinship and economic system which assigns a subordinate and secondary role to women in the family and society. Recent social changes have given women an opportunity to enter different development fields.

In the Independent India, woman has distinguished themselves in various spheres of life as CA’s, politicians, teachers, lawyers, doctors, administrators and diplomats.

They are not only entrusted with work of responsibility but also they perform their duties very honestly and sincerely. There is hardly any sphere of life in which Indian women have not taken part and shown their worth.

They have been given equality with men in shaping their future and sharing responsibilities for themselves, their family and their country.

Woman Power

Friends I have got an idea to show the journey of Woman and their contribution. I will mention some names from different sections of society and from different period and it will automatically clear the picture about the development of their position and their increasing role.

(A)     INDIA’S STRUGGLE FOR FREEDOM – RANI LAKSHMI BAI

She was the bravest soldier of First War of Indian Independence. She is a symbol of bravery, patriotism and honor. In March 1858, when the Britishers attacked Jhansi, Rani Lakshmibai's army decided to fight and the war continued for about two weeks. The army fought very bravely, even though Jhansi lost to the British forces. After a fierce war when the British army entered Jhansi, Rani Lakshmi Bai, tied her son Damodar Rao to her back fought bravely using two swords with both her hands. She escaped to the fortress of Kalpi under the cover of darkness and was accompanied by many other rebellions. She departed to Gwalior and a fierce battle was fought between the British and the Rani's army. On the unfortunate day of 18th June of 1858, this great warrior martyred her life for India's freedom. 

(B)      SYMBOL OF PEACE – MOTHER TERESA

“By blood, I am Albanian. By citizenship, an Indian. By faith, I am a Catholic nun. As to my calling, I belong to the world. As to my heart, I belong entirely to the Heart of Jesus. ”

She was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979, "for work undertaken in the struggle to overcome poverty and distress, which also constitute a threat to peace.

Mother found a never-ending stream of human needs in the poor she met. She strove to make the children of the poor literate, to teach them basic hygiene.

Mother Teresa started to bring men, women and children that were left dying on the streets of Calcutta to a small rented room where they could care for these helpless people who were rejected by local hospitals.

Despite years of strenuous physical, emotional and spiritual work, Mother Teresa seemed unstoppable. Though frail and bent, with numerous ailments, she always returned to her work, to those who received her compassionate care for more than 50 years.

Finally, on September 5, 1997, after finishing her dinner and prayers, her weakened heart gave her back to the God who was the very center of her life.

(C)     SPACE TECHNOLOGY – KALPANA CHAWLA

She is very much a role model for Indian Americans, particularly for girls brought up here. Her rising career was very closely followed by schoolchildren, engineers and women in India. People are extremely proud of the fact that a woman of Indian descent had risen to such heights and had become so visible. She was very enthusiastic about it and was very encouraging to the students to become astronauts. Chawla, whose first name Kalpana means "thought” or "imagination” in the ancient Indian language Sanskrit, in a sense lived up to her name.

Unfortunately Kalpana was one among the seven crew members killed in the Columbia space shuttle disaster on February 1, 2003

(D)     MUSIC – LATA MANGESHKAR-

She is the best-known and most respected playback singer in India. Even Sachin considers her as his mother. She is the greatest example of Hard Work and Dedication.

(E)      SPORTS – SAINA NEHWAL

(F)       JOURNALISM – BARKHA DUTT

(G)     CORPORATE – INDRA NOOYI

(H)     POLITICS- INDIRA GANDHI

CONCLUSION

LAST BUT NOT THE LEAST FINANCE

No one can underestimate the role of women in finance sector. We can see lots of Women CA & CS.

Take CCI for example where we have CA Devanshi Gandhi as the role model for female members. She contributed a lot at this platform.

We also have a future CA in the form of Sneha who made CCI proud by scoring AIR-4 in IPCC. She is still contributing by giving tips to all the CA aspirants at her community and by posting articles.

So friends Respect Woman and don’t’ consider them less to anyone.

This article is dedicated to all the female members of CCI especially CA Devanshi Gandhi.