Will it be wise to make investment on my name or mother's name, to save tax?

Hello,
I have question about tax applied on my earning and investments. I will be in already in 30% tax bracket as per my salary. My mother is selling her ancestral land worth 80 lac and that amount will be given to both of us brothers.
(1) Will me and my brother need to pay any tax on this, if she transfers the amount from her SBI saving account to our account?
(2) Instead of taking my share of 40 lac, if I leave it in her account only. My plan for this money is to invest in various instruments like FD, MF, etc. I want to know, if that would be a big difference in tax saving, if I invest from her account/name, instead of my name?
I will be in 30% bracket as per my salary. If I invest on my name, will its returns attract 30% tax deduction?
What would be advised?
Thanks

Replies (5)
Quick Summary
This discussion explores the tax implications of receiving a 40 lac inheritance and investing it. The original poster, in a 30% tax bracket, questions whether investing the funds in their own name or their mother's name would be more tax-efficient. Advice suggests that investing in the mother's name could potentially offer tax advantages, as her income bracket might be lower, thus reducing the overall tax liability on the investment returns.

1. No..

2. Yes that can be good option.

3. No extra deduction.... it will be in 30% bracket only.

Originally posted by : Dhirajlal Rambhia
1. No..

2. Yes that can be good option.

3. No extra deduction.... it will be in 30% bracket only.

For third point, suppose if I get earning of 5 lac from this investment in a year along with my usual salary, I will need to pay 30% as tax on this 5 lac also (because my total income will keep me in 30% bracket). But if this money stayed and invested on mother's name, there will not be any deduction. Am I understanding it correct?
If this is true, it would be a very big benefit.

Yes, you are correct.

Earlier I replied that there will not be any deduction in Income, which means tax liability would be more.

Sec 80D deduction can be availed
Originally posted by : sabyasachi mukherjee
Sec 80D deduction can be availed

Do you mean, if I invest all on her name?

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
18 September 2026
Accounts & Finance Specialist

ULTRA CHEMICAL WORKS

Thane

CA Final

View Details
Company
Featured 11 September 2026
Audit Executive

RBSM Corporate Advisors Private Limited

Pune

CA

View Details
Company
08 September 2026
Audit Executive

Thammana & Associates

Srikakulam

B.Com

View Details
Company
19 September 2026
Finance Manager

Mugdha Art Studio

Hyderabad

CA

View Details
Company
20 September 2026
Semi Qualified CA

Navin & Associates

Mumbai

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
Article Assistant

MANUJ SHARMA AND COMPANY

Noida

CA Inter

View Details
Company
09 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

Aviv Global Private Limited

Ahmedabad

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 01 September 2026
Articles

Saini Pati Shah & Co LLP, Chartered Accountants

Mumbai

CA Foundation

View Details