Where is my profit then? - an overview

Kumar Gaurav (Going...to be C.A soon...)   (1624 Points)

11 June 2015  

Dear All

I would like to recall a very basic but important thing that even my P&L account is refelcting 

Profit, whereas i have nothing in my hands. Why? Where is my Profit then?

We 'll go through of following example to understand-

Mr. Kalu started a small business 1 year ago with a capital of Rs. 5,000/- and started business activities and earned a profit of Rs. 2,000/- at the end of the year.

Mr. Goru, his accountant shows P&L account to Mr. Kalu stated Profit earned during the year.

Mr. Kalu after going through the P&L account asked a query to Mr. Goru, then where is my profit of Rs. 2,000/-? 

Then, Mr. Goru replied with smile smiley Sir, Please sit i will explain to you-

When you brought in capital into business at that time you will have 5000/- in capital and cash/bank account each side of your B/s. Right!

Now, suppose you have invested 1500/- in Fixed assets, 1000/- in Purchases and 500/- for operational expenses.

So now you have 2000/- Cash in hand left.

If you sold goods for Rs. 2000/- and having closing stock for Rs. 500, then surely you will get 

Gross Profit in the tune of Rs. 1500/- (ie: OS+Pur-CS)-(Sales)=GP

Now, you may reduced you GP by Operational expenses for Rs. 500/- and received Interest income for Rs. 1000/- to arrive at N. Profit figure Rs. 2,000/- Right!

Now your query is that where is N.Profit of Rs. 2,000/-???

See your Net Profit of Rs. 2,000/- is invested/lying with some other items like Fixed Assets, TDS recievables, Cash In hand/Bank etc. How? (Question by Mr. Kalu)

Mr. Goru (Look)-wink
You have Rs. 4,800/- in your Bank account appearing on B/s Assets side after adjusting all the cash activities and closing stock of Rs. 500/-, F.Assets worth Rs. 1500/- and TDS receivable for Rs. 200/-

On the other hand, you have Rs. 5000/- capital and Net Profit Rs. 2,000/- on Liabilities side of your B/s.

If you go deeply you will find that the Profit earned by you (Rs, 2,000/-) is invested in the form of Fixed Assets Rs. 1.300/- , Closing stock Rs. 500/- and TDS receivable for Rs. 200/-

Ohhhhhhh thank god cheeky reply by Mr. Kalu so this means it is safe and lying in the business only in some another form.

Yes, Mr. Kalu you are right!yes

Thanks for reading this article.

Learner- Kumar Gauravcool