What is professionalism?

Ranganathan K (Manager-Accounts & Audit)   (329 Points)

13 November 2012  

What is professionalism?

I suddenly wanted to understand the meaning of "professionalism" in detail. While eagerly searching for it, I filtered out the below definitions and meanings which inspired me.

First, let me summarise my understanding about “Professionalism” as an individual:

Just being in a “profession” or holding a professional degree does not make one a “PROFESSIONAL”.

Any attitude that really convinces or satisfies or fulfils the needs of the other person or persons can be straightaway called as “Professionalism” (Or) at least not creates any anger to other person or persons.

Because, most common cause of work place anger is "actions of supervisors & managers", in rare case, it ends in murders!! :(

Interesting definitions and meanings about “Professionalism”:

• A Student's perception:

Professionalism…in a word - it’s an attitude.  Also, the way in which an individual conducts oneself in certain situations …the way you speak, the way you dress, the way you are organized, etc.  It is setting standards and complying with them.

• General definition:  A very general, raw idea of professionalism is a bundle of the following concepts: a focussed approach, pride in what one is doing, confident, competent, motivation towards a particular goal, accountability, respect for people irrespective of rank, status and gender, responsibility while on the path to a particular goal, commitment to word and deed, control of emotions
  • Individual Professionalism:
    an attitude
    pride
    responsibility
    being a team player
    honesty, trustworthiness, and loyalty
    openness to accept mistakes
    care about people & goals
    accountability
    investment
  • Professionalism as a Student:
    enjoying the total experience
    building your entire career
    developing ‘ownership’ of your program
    managing your time
    accepting responsibility
    personal enthusiasm & style
  • The Definition of Professionalism:
    What is professionalism? Webster's Dictionary defines it as, "the conduct, aims, or qualities that characterize or mark a profession or a professional person."

While that definition of professionalism defines the word, it does little to help you to understand which qualities and characteristics are important, or how you can become a recognized professional in your life.

There is much more to being a professional than simply acquiring the best training and skills.   Becoming an expert in your field is only one part of earning the respect of clients and colleagues.   A large part of achieving recognition as a professional has to do with the way that you present yourself to others.   It is a mindset that becomes easier to apply as you progress further and becomes an inspiration for others to follow.

There are five important keys to being a true professional:
        Character
        Attitude
        Excellence
        Competency
        Conduct

A professional learns how to naturally develop stronger relationships and earn the respect of your customers, friends, and peers.   Once you learn how to hone these important skills, you will be on the path to achieving your goals as a true professional.

With best regards,

Ranganathan.K