What do you think

Ram (None) (37 Points)

29 April 2010  

I realise that IFRS knowledge is important and those who get this first will benefit highly. But the top institutes seem to be taking an advantage out of it.

1. KPMG NIIT are offering a certificate course for about 40000 Rupees. The only benefit as they say is that KPMG faculty will be facilitating the training. But if you note, the actual training is conducted only for 6 days (1 day every week). There is no official recognition or certificate from a worldwide recognised institute like ICAEW or ACCA who are leaders in IFRS courses. The industry may also be reluctant to recognize this except those who are IFRS clients. For long term perspective or for new accounting graduates, this definitely does not seem to be the right choice. Big Companies who have a lot of money may engage KPMG to train their staff.

2. Piron is offering cheaper courses but the actual number of training days is only 2. You also have to buy the course material from ACCA They offer this training only if you register for the ACCA diploma program (as they have a tie-up with ACCA). Their faculty does not appear to be having a lot of current industry experience.

3. When compared to the two, the training offered by Regent Accounting Networks appears to be reasonable. First, they encourage you to acquire a IFRS certificate or qualification which is acceptable worldwide. They may also offer small discounts if you register through them. Then they teach for 28 days approximately. Their faculty has direct industry experience with a few trainers having 10+ years of international experience in countries like Australia, Hong Kong, UK and Canada. When I contacted them they said that they also ensure personal contact with candidates as their batch size do not exceed 30-40. They will also provide free learning resources to all candidates. They expect the course to be completed and certificates in your hands within 3 months. The only problem is that they do not have batches every month unlike Piron and KPMG

I think this appears to be the best option to me to get an international certificate (qualification) in IFRS in 40-45 thousand rupees.

I want to have it even if I do not clear my CA this time. So let me know if you guys have some more information on what is the best option.

Thanks

Ram