Used Space on Disk Mismatch

GaUrAv (C.A. and MOS) (574 Points)

25 February 2009  

Hello Friends we sometimes not able to match the disk space used by C:\ with the disk space available.

For Ex. you have C:\ of 50GB and and including all the files and folders on C:\ will be of 20GB but the remaining space on disk is less than 30GB.

This is due to following reasons:-

1. Your Video and graphics card needs space so it is using some hidden space.

2. If you are using HIbernate on your PC it is using near about 3GB on your Disk.

3. Sleep is using around 300MB

4. The major one is by Shadowstorage that means your PC is using Shadow storage which may go upto 7-8GB

you can check it on your PC

press "Window Key" and then right click on "command prompt" and then click on "run as administator" your command will display on desktop.

then type "vssadmin list shadowstorage" this command will show you available disk space used by window for shadow storage.

you can change it by using command "Resize ShadowStorage" in your command prompt.

5. May be your systems is using Restore points this may take up a minimum space of 300MB and maximum of 15% of your available disk space. you can turn it off if you want but it is recommended to turn it on.

This are the possible findings I have come across if I will find more I will post it here.

Any Suggestions and modifications are welcome..