Urgent : Income Tax & Service Tax & TDS & ITR

CA CHETAN GUPTA (CA) (588 Points)

09 March 2017  

Hello Everyone,

One of My Client owns School Bus and runs them on hire in Schools. It is his Business.

So the BUS RENT received is his Business Income.

The School has deducted TDS under section 194IA & 194IB @ 2%. As per my knowledge it is wrong. Kindly Comment Your Views. Please mention the SECTION & RATE of TDS.

And if the Sections are wrong then what will happen, Can I Claim the TDS or not ?

Also, while preparing his PROFIT & LOSS A/C, will he get any deduction of EXPENSES (Direct & Indirect) from the TOTAL RENT RECEIVED ? just like we do it in other Proprietorship Shops and others. viz. Salary, Fuel, Depreciation, etc.etc.

Also, Do he have any Service Tax Liability and Service Tax Registration & Return filing obligation.

In 1 School, he has No tie up with the school and receives RENT individually from Students directly.

And in other School, the School pays the Rent to him under an agreement and Students are not concerned with the Bus Owner.

My View:-

So the Former one is Business Income & the Later one is SERVICE RENDERED to EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION. Thus Exemption under Mega Exemption notification.

Kindly Reply Soon. I have to file the return before 31st March.

Thank You.