To be successful, know your worth

CA. Tanvi Joshi (Chartered Accountant) (2729 Points)

05 June 2013  

We often have to keep reminding ourselves that we are self-respecting individuals, who will not allow ourselves to be short changed. Despite  professional knavery and skullduggery, if we do an honest day’s work and remain true to ourselves, we would be better able to negotiate our way through a working career.

For those who play the game of “Mirror, Mirror on the wall, who is the fairest/best amongst us all” and who expect their names to always feature first, a rude awakening may happen someday. But for those of us closer to reality, the daily jolts and negative feedback make us more realistic about the work scene.

A real pro should be an encourager, not a discourager, but most often that is not the case. True, we improve ourselves by accepting critical reviews. But, if they begin to erode our self-confidence and belief in our own abilities, we are at the wrong end of the scale.

Self-esteem does not depend on the approval of others. That is because, when we respect ourselves, we do not accept what others say if that is not true of us. The more risks we undertake, the bigger mistakes we could make. But mistakes do not and should not come in the way of developing self-esteem.

All of us might have gone through these experiences – ranging from little pin pricks to insults and being subject to offensive remarks. If we let them get under our skin, we will begin to believe that we are worthless.

When we let jibes and attacks slide off our backs, like water off a duck’s back, we are in effect saying: “Excuse me, I am a self-respecting individual. I will not accept the things you say because they demean me and compromise my rights as an employee or as a fellow being on the planet.”

Some in authority are not used to ever being questioned. What they say goes, right or wrong. Others are more receptive to ideas and nuances. They can listen to their juniors without in any way feeling threatened.

Of course, favouritism exists almost everywhere. But I would consider myself lucky if I were not a favourite and proved myself through sheer performance. Games people play will never cease. But if I am fair and honest, the chances are that I will succeed, even it means the hard way.

Many professionals in our country get frustrated and feel that too many organisations are being run unprofessionally. Since patterns of ownership and control differ so much, what is considered acceptable in one organisation, may be considered taboo in another.

However, certain parameters remain true for all professionals especially when quality of work is placed above petty considerations. They may be competitive but not unethical. They are loyal, committed and are able to put the interests of the organisation first, while following ethical codes of conduct.

Professionals do need spiritual anchors because it’s a tough world that is not designed to mollycoddle you. You will be challenged, battered, tried, put down. You will have to overcome all these hurdles and many more with courage and conviction… and perhaps faith. 

Sometimes, you face constraints – economic, familial or otherwise -- and so may not be able to leave one job and move to another only because you don’t see eye-to-eye with authority. You may have to tolerate humiliation. But, if you bravely hold on to your values and soldier on, you might be able to hold your head high and say, “Do or say what you like, but you will not erode my self-esteem.”