This word shook the foundation of my world!!!!

Juuhhii Agarwal (El Tiburón lindo......) (1159 Points)

23 May 2013  

There are many other things on which I would like to talk and will continue to talk in future but today I wrote this article specially to talk about the word "EXPERIENCE",  
I still know during my grown up days one word that I used to hate was the word “EXPERIENCE”, whenever the word “EXPERIENCE” was used few things always came to my mind regarding the so called   "EXPERIENCED" person using that; I always felt that he wanted to say:

1) I know better then you even if it is wrong(with attitude),

2) I don’t want to change because I have experience

3) I have difficulties in changing myself and to learn new things and skills and then to relearn something which is better then what I know because I have experience.

I always tried to find answers to these questions but never really got the answer, now the questions have changed and I want to ask these questions from everyone who is reading this;

1) What is the guarantee that the conditions prevailing during the time in which one has experience is still prevailing as the time is changing specially the conditions in which an organisation operates?

2) What is the guarantee that the solution given by you at that time was the best solution?

3) How do you know that I don’t have a better solution than your experience? 

I still remember a very interested incidence which happened during my articleship days, there was an argument between me and my uncle who said that he has experience in taxation and accounts, the incidence was there was a change in the filing of income tax return, I was telling the dates but my uncle was not listening to me and was saying that now return has to be filed every month and I suddenly thought that how can it be possible,people face difficulties in filing the return once in a year and moreover the government will face a lot of difficulty if individuals start filling returns monthly but then suddenly a question came which stopped me from presenting my facts;

Uncle: “WHAT IS YOUR AGE”    
Me:      “19”
Uncle: I have experience in this filed which is more than your age so you should better check your facts and then argue
Of course I lose argument at that time but I knew that I was right that’s why I hate the word “EXPERIENCE”, I respect you that you have experience in the field but that doesn't mean that I am no one and whatever argument I am making is irrelevant so this was all about the word “EXPERIENCE”,I am not saying that “EXPERIENCE” is nothing, I also respect the seniors and elders but ‘EXPERIENCE” will help you if one is upgrading himself/herself according to the time, today things are changing so fast that the very next moment your knowledge becomes outdated so it requires continuous up gradation, “EXPERIENCE” with upgraded knowledge is like icing on the cake, it’s you who has to make efforts so that the world should respect you, “EXPERIENCE” is like catching a fish(how to catch a fish, what tact’s and skills you required, what equipment you required) and knowledge is like to catch the fish at the right place where fish’s are found(you may be trying to catch a fish at the area where there are no fishes)’ Experience provides you stability while Knowledge provide you direction, but I will give more marks to knowledge because with the passing of time you can have experience but knowledge requires eagerness to learn, patience, dedication and ability to express, so go for the knowledge and with time, the combination of knowledge and experience will make you a better manager and a better leader. At the end I want to say never accept the facts as given, make your judgement, argue over the facts, and come at your own conclusions.