The importance of money management in life skills

rajat singal (accountant) (26 Points)

07 May 2017  

I wish, back in the day, that in addition of Kenyan’s and Einstein’s tradition theory my school would have introduced me with the real example like how Warren Buffet made his first investment of $ 25 at the mere age of 14 when children in India usually are struggling with Algebra and Trigonometry, and he multiplied it to $ 62 billion at the age of 78 in 2008, becoming the richest person in the world. Instead of wasting our summer holidays at Nani-Dadi’s house or at some hill stations or engaging in some embroidery or other hobby classes, isn’t it time to teach the teenagers about the real money management and value of hard earned money in today’s rapid race of life. Only 4% of India invest in Mutual Fund industry whereas the country of where the most of the reaches of world has raised this percentage till 60’s.

It is my question to education system, that why not our NCERT books teach about power of compound interest in a different way. Instead of calculating compound interest on payment of loans, why don’t it includes even a single illustration that how compound interest can even multiply your money. Why don’t compound interest in mathematics books be clubbed with Mutual Funds SIP, that even a mere sum of Rs. 500 per month out of your pocket can give a wealth of more than Rs. 1 crore at the age of 55 the only condition that you have to start it first day of your college. Surprised, How is it possible for a college student to save even Rs. 500 per month. Oh come on! it is a nothing just an excuse to escape from future responsibilities. Skip 1 Domino’s Pizza per month and put that money in to a SIP in equity linked mutual fund for you retirement.

I am not criticizing my education system but I urge not to make 6 figure Multi National Company Salaried Job it’s sole objective, we need to take it easy, backbone of our Indian Education System need some relaxation and practical training to student to train them fighting against inflation, so that they can make a balance between whatever are they earning and future dreams they want to fulfill. Indian Schools, especially Government school need to include some practical financially skilled syllabus to build a skilled India.