TDS on exhibition space rent

Chartered Accountant

What is the TDS rate applicable for payment towards 'Exhibition Stall Space rent charges'?

Whether it will comer under category -'Rent' or 'Advertisement' or 'Contract' payment ?

Please suggest.

Hi, As per the circular no. 715 dt 8/8/95 Contract for putting up a hoarding is in the nature of advertising contract annd provision of section 194C would become applicable, however it may further be notified that if a particular person has taken a particular space on Rent and thereafter sublets the same fully or in part for putting up a hording, he would be liable to TDS under section 194I and not section 194C. In your case, which it understand is that usually exibition are held on a let out property, if it is so Section 194I would apply. As far rate is concerned it wil depend upon the Type of assessee.

Chartered Accountant

I agree , section 194I will apply. This is clear from definition of rent as per section 194I , which is as follows: [(i) “rent” means any payment, by whatever name called, under any lease, sub-lease, tenancy or any other agreement or arrangement for the use of (either separately or together) any,— (a) land; or (b) building (including factory building); or (c) land appurtenant to a building (including factory building); or (d) machinery; or (e) plant; or (f) equipment; or (g) furniture; or (h) fittings, whether or not any or all of the above are owned by the payee;]

(Guest)

it will come under advertisement

Whether centering material taken on hire basis ( rent) then whether tds is applicable under section 194 i ?

Chartered Accountant

I agree with Mr. Sampat. TDS u/s 194I (Rent) shall apply for payment of exhibition.

(Guest)

Tds on Exhibution   Rent %

analysist

Well according to me it falls under advertising contract .

Please Refer circular no. 715 dt 8/8/95 of CBDT

" Question 18 : Whether deduction of tax is required to be made under section 194C for sponsorship of debates, seminars and other functions held in colleges, schools and associations with a view to earn publicity through display of banners, etc., put up by the organisers ?

Answer : The agreement of sponsorship is, in essence, an agreement for carrying out a work of advertisement. Therefore, provisions of section 194C shall apply "

And the intention of the event is not let-out or sub-let the property, it is just providing a platform for advertisement so it should fall under 194 C

Dear Sir/Madam,

Which TDS section apply for  Exhibition Stall Booking ?

Account Assistant Manager

Section 194I will apply for for  Exhibition Stall Booking

Read more at: http://www.caclubindia.com/forum/tds-on-exhibition-space-rent-2659.asp

LEAVE A REPLY

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Search Forum:

× Online Coaching My Enrolled Courses
Articles Forum News Experts Exams Share Files Income Tax Accounts Career Corporate Law Service Tax Video Judgements Rewards Top Members Events Albums Find Friends Featured Feed Scorecard Bookmarks Mock Test Poll Notification Knowledge Finder Coaching Institutes Trainee Corner Jobs
close x
  SHARE THIS