Tax residency

Rahul Dholam (7 Points)

06 August 2016  

Hi 

I have tried to search this forum but didn't get the exact reply to my question. So my apologies if I'm repeating a query here.

I've recently moved to Singapore on June 19 and will be working here for the rest of the year. However I'm expected to travel to India with work for 5 days in September and a personal visit for ten days in December. This would mean I will be in Singapore for less than 183 days between the Singapore financial year Jan to Dec. 

At the same time, I will not be a tax resident of India for financial year April to march as I will not be in India for 182 days and I have left the country for employment.

Question 1: is the no of days calculated based on physical presence in the country, as it's possible that you may need to travel to multiple places constantly if you are in a sales job or something and you have not spent 180 days in any single country. Or is the period of employment counted for calculating no of days. In my case I will be employed in Singapore and drawing salary for more than 183 days, but physical presence will be less than 180 days.

Question 2 How does income tax treat this case if I'm not a tax resident in either India or Singapore.