Tax audit and taxability of capital market transactions

ANEELLASOD (CA Practice ) (24 Points)

20 March 2015  

1) if a client does transactions in derivative segment then for tax audit purpose the turnover is :

a) the absolute sum of loss and profit ( 70 lakhs) ( if profit is 40 lakhs and loss is 30 lakhs)? or

b) the difference of  profit and loss ( 10 lakhs) ( if profit is 40 lakhs and loss is 30 lakhs)?

2) if the client does transactions in cash segment then for tax audir purpose the turnover is :

a)if the client treats the transactions under business head:

i) the absolute sum of buy value and sell value ( 70 lakhs) ( if buy value is  40 lakhs and sell value is  30      lakhs)? or

ii) the difference of buy value and sell value  ( 10 lakhs) ( if buy value is  40 lakhs and sell value is  30 lakhs)?

b) if the client treats the transactions under capital gains:

i) the absolute sum of buy value and sell value ( 70 lakhs) ( if buy value is  40 lakhs and sell value is  30      lakhs)? or

ii) the difference of buy value and sell value  ( 10 lakhs) ( if buy value is  40 lakhs and sell value is  30 lakhs)?

iii) only sale value

3) If a client does transactions in derivatives as well as cash segment, then for tax audit purpose then how is the turnover decided?

a) the absolute sum of loss and profit ( derivatives )( 70 lakhs) ( if profit is 40 lakhs and loss is 30 lakhs)? or

b) the difference of  profit and loss ( derivatives)  ( 10 lakhs) ( if profit is 40 lakhs and loss is 30 lakhs)

c) if the client treats the cash market transactions under business head:

ii) the difference of buy value and sell value  ( 10 lakhs) ( if buy value is  40 lakhs and sell value is  30 lakhs)?

4) If a client does transactions in derivatives as well as cash segment, then for tax audit purpose then how is the turnover decided?

a) the absolute sum of loss and profit ( derivatives )( 70 lakhs) ( if profit is 40 lakhs and loss is 30 lakhs)? or

b) the difference of  profit and loss ( derivatives)  ( 10 lakhs) ( if profit is 40 lakhs and loss is 30 lakhs)

c) if the client treats the cash market transactions under capital gains:

iii) only sale  value