Please Wait ..

Sign-in to your account

Username:
Password:

Remember Me

Forgot your password?

Sign-up now

Join CAclubindia.com and Share your Knowledge. Registered members get a chance to interact at Forum, Ask Query, Comment etc.

Discussion > Income Tax > TDS >

Should i deduct tds including service tax

Pages : 1 2

Sr. Admin & Finance Officer

[ Scorecard : 84]
Posted On 07 May 2012 at 18:50 Report Abuse

Dear All,

I want to know if i should deduct tds including service tax or deduct with including it. There are two of them in which i am little confused these are Rent on Machinery  and Rent on Building. Where % of TDS on Machinery is 2 and 10 on building.

Online classes for CA CS CMA

M .K. Jha
CA Final

[ Scorecard : 484]
Posted On 07 May 2012 at 20:58

Dear Kamal,

You Should deduct TDS on Gross amount excluding S.tax. it means

Service Tax = (Amount + TDS)*12.36%

and

TDS = (Amount paid + TDS)* TDS Rate (i.e.2% / 10%)

akshay
ca final

[ Scorecard : 1774]
Posted On 07 May 2012 at 23:26

CBDT Circular: CIRCULAR NO. 4/2008, (dated 28.04.2008) Representation / letters have been received in the Board seeking clarification as to whether TDS provisions under Sec. 194- I of the Income-tax Act will be applicable on the gross rental amount payable (inclusive of service tax ) or net rental amount payable (exclusive of service tax ) The matter has been examined by the Board. As per the provisions of 194-I, tax is deductible at source on Income by way rent paid to any resident. Service tax paid by the tenant doesnt partake the nature of income of the landlord. The landlord only acts as a collecting agency for Government for collection of service tax. Therefore, it has been decided that TDS under Sec 194-I of Income-tax Act would be required to be made on the amount of rent paid / payable without including the service tax.

Regit
CA.Final

[ Scorecard : 231]
Posted On 08 May 2012 at 09:52

Agree with akshy.

In 194I, it was clearly stated that 'TDS on Income'. So, ST portion is not an income to the landlord.

Where as in case of 194J, it was stated that 'TDS on Amounts received'. So as it is clearly stated to deduct TDS on AMOUNTS RECEIVED, above logic will not apply and there fore, TDS is deductible.

Mihir Doshi
B.Com, CA, CS, LLB

[ Scorecard : 2030]
Posted On 08 May 2012 at 10:16

Agree with Akshay,

Kindly refer the wording of section 194I and another deducting section i.e. 194C, J etc....These sections speak about "Any sum payable" while 194I speaks about "ANy Income".

These two terms are clearly distinguishable and denotes different meaning.

Hope your query is now resolved.

For 194I purpose, TDS will be on only rental amount and not on service tax amount.

Thanks

Mihir Doshi

Total thanks : 4 times

CA PRAVEEN SINGH
MANAGER ACCOUNTS

[ Scorecard : 2237]
Posted On 08 May 2012 at 12:47

CBDT Circular: CIRCULAR NO. 4/2008, (dated 28.04.2008) Representation / letters have been received in the Board seeking clarification as to whether TDS provisions under Sec. 194- I of the Income-tax Act will be applicable on the gross rental amount payable (inclusive of service tax ) or net rental amount payable (exclusive of service tax ) The matter has been examined by the Board. As per the provisions of 194-I, tax is deductible at source on Income by way rent paid to any resident. Service tax paid by the tenant doesnt partake the nature of income of the landlord. The landlord only acts as a collecting agency for Government for collection of service tax. Therefore, it has been decided that TDS under Sec 194-I of Income-tax Act would be required to be made on the amount of rent paid / payable without including the service tax. Right said.agree

Total thanks : 1 times

DIBYENDU
SERVICE

[ Scorecard : 261]
Posted On 08 May 2012 at 15:35

is TDS deducted u/S 194B, 194D, 194G, 194H aslo charge  on gross amount (i.e. exclusive amount of service tax) as  they are also charged on income?

akshay
ca final

[ Scorecard : 1774]
Posted On 08 May 2012 at 15:58

In case of TDS u/s 194D 194G 194H TDS shall be deducted on AMOUNT EXCLUSIVE OF ST whereas, in case of TDS U/s 194C 194 J TDS shall be deducted on AMOUNT INCLUSIVE OF ST

Amol Gopal Kabra (CA,CS,DISA)
Practicing CA

[ Scorecard : 7533]
Posted On 08 May 2012 at 16:52

In case of TDS on Rent i.e. u/s 194I, on amount exclusive of service tax. In all other cases, on gross amount, i.e. amount inclusive of service tax.

Total thanks : 1 times

CA PRAVEEN SINGH
MANAGER ACCOUNTS

[ Scorecard : 2237]
Posted On 08 May 2012 at 17:31

YES AGREE WITH ABOVE.....

There are 17 Replies to this message

Related Files