Avail 50% discount on all subjects for Nov batch(access till Nov 20th). Use coupon code Nov14.

Please Wait ..

Sign-in to your account

Username:
Password:

Remember Me

Forgot your password?

Sign-up now

Join CAclubindia.com and Share your Knowledge. Registered members get a chance to interact at Forum, Ask Query, Comment etc.

Discussion > Service Tax >

Service Tax on Transportation

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6

Professional

[ Scorecard : 267]
Posted On 04 September 2007 at 10:37 Report Abuse

Dear Sir,

A Pvt. Ltd company has paid transportation amounting to Rs. 20 Lacs during the financial year 2006-07. The bill amount individually was less than Rs. 1400/- each. Please state its service tax consequences if the amount was paid to individual carriers i.e. they were not paid to goods transport agencies.

Thanking You

Online classes for CA CS CMA

suresh
Manager- indirect tax

[ Scorecard : 45]
Posted On 04 September 2007 at 16:50

In my view, service tax liabliity is on the goods transport agency and on the individual transporters. Further as per service tax rules exemption to small consignments was granted in two situations, one situation is that the gross amount charged on all the consignments transported in a goods carriage in a particular trip does not exceed Rs. 1,500/0 and the second situation is that the gross amount charged on an individual consignemnt transported in a goods carriage does not exceed Rs. 750/-

madhusudan
Professional

[ Scorecard : 267]
Posted On 04 September 2007 at 17:09

Dear Suresh, I have also the same view, but I need some more clarifications

kanta jain
chartered accountants

[ Scorecard : 29]
Posted On 10 September 2007 at 18:33

Dear Madhusudan ji,
you mentioned in your querry the individual bill amount of Rs.1400/-. The exemption is available if gross amount charged on an individual consigement transported in a goods carrage does not exceed Rs.1500/ or an individual consignment does not exceed 750/-.- wef 01/01/2005.

Abatement u/s 65 (105) (zzp): Abatement of 75% is available to consignors or consignees.
The above provisions are applicable if transport service is provided by transport booking agent........Ven. Finance minister stated in budget speech on 08/07/2004... 58 services have been brought under the net so far.I propose to add some more this year. These are ....................., services provided by transport booking agent--------------------------------I may clarify that their is no intention to levy srevice tax on truck owners or truck operators.

in your case , the transport has been paid to individual goods carrier. GTA includes any person ( wef 01/05/2006) who provides services in relation to transport of goods by road and issues consignement note .So, in your case consignment note is mandatory.
note:-
For the period prior to 01/05/2006, commercial concern were liable to tax, wef 01/05/2006, any person
kanta_jain @ rediffmail.com

(Guest)
Posted On 17 September 2007 at 15:22

Dear Sir, We are a Pvt. Limited co. we receive service from individual transport agencies for a month upto Rs.25000 & we pay service tax on behalf of them. We can claim 75% abatement.

Dinessh Kumar
Articled Asst.,

[ Scorecard : 193]
Posted On 24 September 2007 at 18:18

Hi Senthil, You can claim the abatement. You can deduct for the 25% of the bill amount. In turn, you can claim the 12.36% tax on 25% of the amount as Service Tax Input. For the purpose of claiming abatement, the transporter should not avail cenvat credit

(Guest)
Posted On 25 September 2007 at 13:05

dear sir I want to know the svice tax rates for assestment year 2007/08 and 2008/09 in all firms Akhilesh

(Guest)
Posted On 23 October 2007 at 18:42

Dear Sir, We are menufeacturer of Pharmaceuticals Product.We are also receive and dispatch the third party purchase goods.Pl verify our current practice for pay service tax (GTA) . 1.For incomming Goods a , We are we are paying service tax on 25% and takes the credit. 2.For out gooing goods, 1.For self menufectring goods ,we are paying service tax on 25% and takes the credit. 2.1.For third party purchase goods ,we are paying service tax on 25% and not takeing the credit. Alkesh Trivedi

(Guest)
Posted On 27 November 2007 at 16:30

Dear Sir, We are menufeacturer of Pharmaceuticals Product.We are also receive and dispatch the third party purchase goods.Pl verify our current practice for pay service tax (GTA) . 1.For incomming Goods a , We are we are paying service tax on 25% and takes the credit. 2.For out gooing goods, 1.For self menufectring goods ,we are paying service tax on 25% and takes the credit. in the above case can we claim cenvat or not

(Guest)
Posted On 20 February 2008 at 10:42

Dear Sir I am working at export dept,& we are doing export for various parties for that purpose we have our own Closed body truck ( CBT ). In What amount should we pay service tax on gross amount @ 12.36% or we have to take 25% of gross amount & that 25% amount we have to pay service tax, pls. advice me.

There are 50 Replies to this message

Related Files