Please Wait ..

Sign-in to your account

Username:
Password:

Remember Me

Forgot your password?

Sign-up now

Join CAclubindia.com and Share your Knowledge. Registered members get a chance to interact at Forum, Ask Query, Comment etc.

Discussion > Service Tax > Queries >

Service tax on Service Apartments

Pages : 1 2

CA Final Student

[ Scorecard : 147]
Posted On 13 May 2008 at 16:02 Report Abuse

hi all,
I wanted to just know whether service tax is applicable on renting of service apartments. The apartments are being rented out to companies on daily and monthly basis. Just let me know whether it comes under " service tax on renting of immovable property"

Online classes for CA CS CMA

Shekar
CA & LCS

[ Scorecard : 1089]
Posted On 13 May 2008 at 17:24

Yes...Service tax is applicable..

Deepak Sugandhi
Chartered Accountant

[ Scorecard : 45]
Posted On 13 May 2008 at 19:08

No. Please refer Service Tax by S S Gupta May 2007 Edn. page 1019-1020.

Certain properties are excluded;

(d) building used solely for residential purposes & buildings used for the purpose of accomodation, including hotels, hostels, boarding houses, holiday, accomodation, tents, camping facilities.

Hence I feel service apartments are exempt.

Taxguy
Consultant

[ Scorecard : 2990]
Posted On 19 May 2008 at 15:42

The use of the building is for commercial purpose and not residential, eventhough the person occupying the room will use it for residential use.  Therefore, the service tax is applicable on the landlord owning the building for having rented it for commercial use.  In most cases the providers of service apartments have taken the premises for rent.  The service tax is on the landlord.

Deepak Sugandhi
Chartered Accountant

[ Scorecard : 45]
Posted On 19 May 2008 at 16:36

How different is it from a Hotel or boarding? Service Apartment is type of a Hotel, hence deserves same treatment as a hotel.

rupal maheshwari
CA PRACTICE

[ Scorecard : 23]
Posted On 26 December 2008 at 14:16

why we are not treated service appartments as a hotel

Rajesh Kumar
Advocate- Taxation & Corporate

[ Scorecard : 3985]
Posted On 30 December 2008 at 11:48

Service Tax is leviable on renting of immovable property for commercial or industrial purposes.

The Landlord has rented the property to the service apartment management company. This is renting of immovable property for commercial purposes- and hence the landlord is required to pay service tax.

The service aprtment managemnt company renting the rooms to its clients for residential purpose, and hence no service tax is payable at this stage.  

Madhukar N Hiregange
Chartered Accountant

[ Scorecard : 19077]
Posted On 31 December 2008 at 14:16

My view is that since the property is to be used for accomodation it falls out of the defintion itslef and therefore there is a good reason for the landlord as well as the service apartment service providers NOt to charge the ST.

Warm Regards

Madhukar 

CA. C V SURYAM
Practising Chartered Accountant

[ Scorecard : 742]
Posted On 19 January 2014 at 09:15

Sir, what about the present scenario post 01/07/2012 in case of service apartments? The entire building is letted out by individual owner to a firm and in turn this firm uses these premises for letting out to individuals/corporates to use for boarding/residence purpose for themeselves or for thier employees respectively.  Next, what about food served/provided in these service apartments having air condition facility? Can I expect an early reply?

Pramod Dhaduti
CA-Final

[ Scorecard : 21]
Posted On 05 February 2014 at 12:27

Dear Sir,

Please share the ST Notification if any regarding ST on Service Appartment.

There are 10 Replies to this message

Related Files