Please Wait ..

Sign-in to your account

Username:
Password:

Remember Me

Forgot your password?

Sign-up now

Join CAclubindia.com and Share your Knowledge. Registered members get a chance to interact at Forum, Ask Query, Comment etc.

Discussion > Service Tax > Queries >

Service Tax on Industrial Canteen ?

Pages : 1

Practicing Company Secretary/Tax Consultant

[ Scorecard : 398]
Posted On 19 February 2009 at 17:29 Report Abuse

Pl.let me know that, the service tax is applicable on Industrial canteen which provides the catering services to its employees.  The catering services includes the meal and snacks to the workers.  Can Service tax is applicable on the industrial canteen which is run by a contractor.

Online classes for CA CS CMA

Sachin
Chartered Accountant

[ Scorecard : 419]
Posted On 19 February 2009 at 20:59

Originally posted by :LAXMIKANT JAIPURKAR
" Pl.let me know that, the service tax is applicable on Industrial canteen which provides the catering services to its employees.  The catering services includes the meal and snacks to the workers.  Can Service tax is applicable on the industrial canteen which is run by a contractor. "

Dear LAXMI KANT,

This will be covered under the outdoor caterring Service. if do you know more about this, please write me email sachinagarwalcallb @ gmail.com with full detail.

Rajesh Kumar
Advocate- Taxation & Corporate

[ Scorecard : 3995]
Posted On 20 February 2009 at 07:37

Outdoor caterer service means providing catering services at any place, other than his own. As industrial canteen caterer provide catering services at a place owned by the industry, it is covered under outdoor catering services.

Madhukar N Hiregange
Chartered Accountant

[ Scorecard : 19292]
Posted On 20 February 2009 at 10:31

Originally posted by :LAXMIKANT JAIPURKAR
" Pl.let me know that, the service tax is applicable on Industrial canteen which provides the catering services to its employees.  The catering services includes the meal and snacks to the workers.  Can Service tax is applicable on the industrial canteen which is run by a contractor. "

Yes there is  liability under service tax w.e.f. 10.9.2004   under outdoor caterering. Since the materials ( food) are also transferred, the value of the same if indicated separately ( appropriate VAT paid) would be available as a deduction. Where such detail not available a 50% abatement is allowed provided that the bill clearly indicates that food was also provided.  

Total thanks : 1 times

sandip bhogayta
manager - taxation

[ Scorecard : 65]
Posted On 24 September 2012 at 09:37

at which rate VAT applicable ?

On which amount vat can attract ?

There are 4 Replies to this message

Related Files