Please Wait ..

Sign-in to your account

Username:
Password:

Remember Me

Forgot your password?

Sign-up now

Join CAclubindia.com and Share your Knowledge. Registered members get a chance to interact at Forum, Ask Query, Comment etc.

Discussion > Service Tax >

Service Tax on Food bills

Pages : 1

Assistant Manger Finance

[ Scorecard : 94]
Posted On 15 April 2010 at 17:43 Report Abuse

I would like to know whether service tax is applicable on food bills in the Hotels (Luxury). If yes what is the percentage? I also would like to know what is the minimum and max (%) applicable on the food bill? Is there any other tax is possible apart from this??   

Regards

Shankar G

Online classes for CA CS CMA

Dhruv
Chartered Accountant

[ Scorecard : 291]
Posted On 16 April 2010 at 01:07

As far as I am aware, service tax is not chargeable on food bill, since catering services such as restaurants or cafes are not under the service tax net . 

VAT @ 12.5 % is chargeable on the food bill. Some places also have a service charge on the bill amount, that is not to be confused with service tax. 

Dhruv
Chartered Accountant

[ Scorecard : 291]
Posted On 16 April 2010 at 01:10

Sorry got confused with the last post, in case of indoor catering no service tax is chargeable, indoor catering implies restaurants, cafes etc. 

In case of outdoor catering, service tax is chargeable. 

“outdoor caterer” means a caterer engaged in providing services in connection with catering at a place other than his own but including a place provided by way of tenancy or otherwise by the person receiving such services;

any person who supplies, either directly or indirectly, any food, edible preparations, alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages or crockery and similar articles or accouterments for any purpose or occasion and an outdoor caterer has been defined as a caterer engaged in providing services in connection with catering at a place other than his own.

It's important to note the part where it states, at a place other than his own. Same applies to inflight catering, service tax is chargeable on the same. 

GIRIRAJ BANG
CA PRACTICE

[ Scorecard : 24]
Posted On 17 April 2010 at 15:51

There is no service tax on food bill.

There are 3 Replies to this message

Related Files