Avail 50% discount on all subjects for Nov batch(access till Nov 20th). Use coupon code Nov14.

Please Wait ..

Sign-in to your account

Username:
Password:

Remember Me

Forgot your password?

Sign-up now

Join CAclubindia.com and Share your Knowledge. Registered members get a chance to interact at Forum, Ask Query, Comment etc.

Discussion > Income Tax > Tax queries >

Section 10(38) of Incometax Act

Pages : 1

student

[ Scorecard : 41]
Posted On 29 December 2007 at 13:57 Report Abuse

Hi friends! Advanced happy new year and Pongal to all. If we transfer the long term shares(Equity shares of listed company) during the financial year 07-08, and it is covered under securities transation tax and the same was deducted from the sale value of shares. Is this exempt or not? If not can we take Index or not?. These transaction was done through the Rocgnised Stock Exchange only. Pls send me as early as possible. My mail id is sekharreddy_ca @ yahoo.com, and sekharreddy ca @ rediffmail.com . The gap between the sekharreddy and ca in the above mail id is '_' only. ok bye all the best. bye bye

Total thanks : 1 times

Online classes for CA CS CMA

Late CA Sampat Jain
Chartered Accountant

[ Scorecard : 4717]
Posted On 30 December 2007 at 10:27

Section 10(38) of the Income tax Act ,exempts following income: (38) any income arising from the transfer of a long-term capital asset, being an equity share in a company or a unit of an equity oriented fund where— (a) the transaction of sale of such equity share or unit is entered into on or after the date on which Chapter VII of the Finance (No. 2) Act, 2004 comes into force; and (b) such transaction is chargeable to securities transaction tax under that Chapter : 44[Provided that the income by way of long-term capital gain of a company shall be taken into account in computing the book profit and income-tax payable under section 115JB.] Explanation.—For the purposes of this clause, “equity oriented fund” means a fund— (i) where the investible funds are invested by way of equity shares in domestic companies to the extent of more than 45[sixty-five] per cent of the total proceeds of such fund; and (ii) which has been set up under a scheme of a Mutual Fund specified under clause (23D) : Provided that the percentage of equity shareholding of the fund shall be computed with reference to the annual average of the monthly averages of the opening and closing figures;]

Total thanks : 1 times

astha
CA, CS

[ Scorecard : 85]
Posted On 31 December 2007 at 11:51

W.E.F Assesment Year 2000-2001, Long Term Capital Gain arising on sale of securities listed on Recognised stock Exchange, Unit of UTI, Mutual Fund specified u/s 10(23D) or Zero Coupon Bonds shall be minimum of the following: a) Tax @ 20% after providing indexation OR b) Tax @ 10% without indexation However as per Sec 10(38) L.T.C.G arising on sale of listed equity shares or units of equity oriented fund shall be exempt if: a) such sale takes place after 1.10.2004 b) Sale takes place through recognised stock exchange c) Such transaction is chargeable to S.T.T Thus Sec 10(38) provides greater benefit in case of L.T.C.G.

Total thanks : 2 times

(Guest)
Posted On 06 March 2008 at 12:36

i want to know the answer

There are 3 Replies to this message

Related Files