Role of a SAP Consultant?

Rajesh Balakrishnan (student) (197 Points)

24 February 2011  

I cleared my CA Final this November and am planning to take up a career in SAP. But the thing is, I do not have practical experience in this field. My articleship tenure mainly composed of Tax and Audit related work. My interest is in the advisory services and  I was kinda confused as to whether I should start applying or whether I should undergo any of the SAP certified courses before I do that? So would you recommend me to take up a certification course in a module like say FI from Genovate or Siemens and get to know the modus operandi? A brief & concrete descripttion of the role of a SAP Consultant would also help me because, basically from what I've heard from most of them who have had any SAP exposure (not being involved with the implementation in any way, though) is that 'They translate the business requirements of the clients to the programmers' and I found that to be pretty vague. I haven't really gotten a chance to talk to someone who has been in the implementation side of things. So, if you can throw some light on that, it would be great, so that I can have an idea of what I'm getting into.

Thanks and looking forward to replies