Rent receipt and investment proof last date expired. still any luck?

Kumar (Working professional) (27 Points)

26 March 2017  
Mates, Two questions: 1) w.r.t the financial year 2016-2017, I did not tell my employer that I would be living on rent, and, I did not submit any rent receipts, although, I did live on rent, and do have the receipts and landlord's PAN card copy and details (because the rent was in the range in which owner's PAN detail is required). And the last date of submitting those details to my employer has gone. So, I did not get the benefit of having my HRA save tax for me. But while filing the return can I show that rent amount in the return and get tax refund? Or is it that in this financial year (2016-2017) the rules are different, and, there is no hope for me? 2) Similar question is regarding investment. I did not submit investment proof to my employer, and the last date has gone. In fact I did not invest either. If I invest now (before end of this month), then, can I declare the investment while filing the return, and get the tax refund? In the past I have done this and got the refund, but, are this financial year (2016-2017) the rules the same in this matter? Thanks