Rectification request or revised return

Anshul Solanki (S/W Engineer) (27 Points)

16 August 2014  

I have recievd notification U/S 143(1) for Assessment year 2013-14.

Basically when i look into the letter the advance tax shows 20000 and self assessment shows 0. I went back and cheched the excel file of my ITR4 and saw the i had though entered 2 rows in IT schedule ( one for advance tax of 8000 and another for self assessement of 12000), the tax paid is all clubbed in under advance tax , i.e. 20000 in advance tax. So actually this is the fault of XML utility for ITR4 as in schedule IT of this utility there is not way to differentiate between advance tax and self assessment tax.

Nevertheless , i have received intimation and now i want to know should i file a rectification request or revised return.

More questions and i tried to explore more option on either choices.

1) If i file rectification request, using
“Rectification Request Type” as "Tax Payer is correcting data for tax credit mismatch only" and then selecting "    IT Details".  I cannot again see a option to say what is advance tax and what is self assessment tax. All it asks is BSR code, amount , date. So should i go ahead and enter the values again and hope it will consider them separate.

2) if i file revised return, can i actually do it because i am passed 1 year dealine, i.e. i filed original return on 17th July 2013 and is august 2014

Or should i choose any other option.

Please help.

Thanks,

Anshul