Qualifications

pushpak (Associate) (93 Points)

05 January 2012  

Quote “The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education”, unquote, Albert Einstein

Stupid and unworthy, as he was once called by his teacher, he became the greatest inventor of all times,Thomas Edison. Dropped out of one of the most prestigious business schools,he became the richest man on this planet,Bill Gates. Fired,from a newspaper for the lack of imagination and creativity, he became one of the finest cartoonist of the world,Walt Disney. As Harsha Bhogle, the famous cricket commentator once said during his lecture at IIM Ahmedabad, its not just qualification or talent which matters,its what you do with that qualification, which matters.

In a society like ours, who do we expect to bring glory to this nation if even the academic geeks scoring cent percent marks are also rejected admissions on the basis of super natural cut offs reflecting nothing but the eccentricity of our academic system.

India as a nation is the witness of the legend of Mr.Dhirubhai Ambani, who in his single lifetime not just created the India’s biggest ever global fortune, but single handedly propelled the industrial revolution in this country to new heights. Who does not know the academic qualifications of this man,still who would ever dare to question the brilliance of the same man. You talk about unity and brotherhood, I wished to draw your kind attention to the drama of the Gujjar and Jat agitations that have happened during past few months,and that were able to shake more than one governments. Me,neither a supporter nor a condemner of such events,could only see those thousands of academically non qualified agitators united for a single cause, while the remaining all of us with high academic qualifications do not even bother about our neighborhoods.

In the end, I do not wish to go too long back into the history, and this is an incident from one of the nearby decades. A guy called Steve Jobs, too bored of his regular academic commitments, ditched them for a more exciting calligraphy course. Ten years later, when he was designing the first Macintosh computer at Apple, it all came back to him. And he designed it all into the Mac. It was the first computer with beautiful typography. If he had never dropped in on that single course in college, the Mac would have never had multiple typefaces or proportionally spaced fonts. And since Windows just copied the Mac, its likely that no personal computer would have ever had them.

Academic qualification would only serve as the toppings on our favorite pizza, while it would never taste a pizza without the cheese.