Outstanding tax demand notice

Debaraj (Analyst) (25 Points)

29 May 2016  

Hi,

Before I start with my query, I want to give a brief descripttion about my scenario.

My income tax jurisdiction is in Shillong. I was working in Mumbai for the last 10 years in 4 companies.

In my 3rd job in Mumbai, a tax deduction was done by the employer from my salary, which is reflected in Form 16 (not Traces copy, but signed and sealed by the company). But they have not submitted the whole amount which they deducted due to which a demand notice of nearly Rs 9000 has been raised by the IT department. The query was related to the last year which I worked for the company.

The demand notice arrived when I was working in the 4th company in Mumbai. I checked form 26AS and discovered about the non-deposit of the TDS. I called and mailed several times (3rd compnay personal), however they ignored all my mails and calls. Moreover, the demand notice says that for any queries or if you decline the demand, meet the jurisdiction accessing officer. However, as I stay in Mumbai and my jurisdiction assessing officer is in Shilliong, I failed to do that. I wrote to the income tax office several times with proof, however never received any response. Moreover, the head of my 3rd company was in the board of my 4th company, so I refrained from initiaing a formal complaint with the IT department.

Currently, I changed my job and came to Bangalore and I want to resolve the long outstanding demand notice. Please suggest me a possible way how can I proceed to get a resolution.

Regards,

Deb