Outstanding tax demand

D Inder (Retired) (38 Points)

26 July 2015  

My first post here, so please excuse my ignorance. 

I am a retired government servant and have been filing my IT returns (ITR-1) on paper until last year. This is the first time I am using the e-file facility.

Recently I created my login ID and succesfully logged in on https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/ to prepare my AY 2015-2016 tax return, but while browsing the options came across "Outstanding Tax Demand Notices" from some previous years (do appreciate that the returns for the mentioned years were submitted on paper) as below:

Referring to the demand notice for the AY 2013-2014 highlighted in red:

1. The "Outstanding demand amount" (19360) is in fact the tax for the year, and this has been paid (in fact paid in excess). 

2. I paid excess tax in that year (24428) and should have been issued a refund that I had calculated and mentioned in the paper IT return itself. 

Anyhow, I do not understand what these "Outstanding Tax Demands" are, and what do they mean. e.g. - if have paid 24428 instead of 19360 needed, what does this notification mean? Shouldn't the demand notification say "-5068" (i.e.- 19360 - 24428) to tell me that I am owed a refund and whether I agree to it or not?? 

Moreover, since the return was submitted on paper, shouldn't I have received these notices on paper by post? 

Can someone help me understand what these are and how should I deal with them, before I get on to e-filing my return for AY 2015-2016.

Thanks in advance.