NRI Wanting To Move Back to India...Help

George Costanza (blah) (26 Points)

22 September 2010  

Hi,

So basically, I'm an NRI and am studying finance at a US institution. Recently, however, I have decided that I want to move back to India for personal reasons and from what I understand, the CA, not the CPA, is the certification choice for accountants over there. Therefore, I am wondering what someone in my position should do/how NRIs can qualify to sit for the CA exam. I definitely want to finish my coursework here in the US, and that will take around another 1.5 years, but after I finish my undergrad (your equivalent would be Bcomm Honors), what would I need to do to sit for, and then pass the CA exam and work as an accountant over there? If you were in my situation, what would you do? Furthermore, I can guarantee that my accounting in the US will differ slightly from the Indian version of accounting, so are there study materials available to help me learn these differences and be ready for the CA exam?

Finally, I also want to know how much weight, if any, the CPA has over there? Could it also make sense for me to get my CPA and leverage that, or will it basically be worthless in India?

thanks and I'd really appreciate your guys' help!