close x

Medical Bills Exemption U/s 17(2)

Friends,
I missed submiting the medical bills to my company before 31-Mar-2011, hence I was not reimburshed Rs 15000 (under section 17(2))  , and thus this also does not reflects in Form 16. I have all the original bills , for the amount I spend , between April-2010 and Mar 2011.

Can this amount be claimed while filing ITR now (before 31-July-11)?

Appreciate quick response.

Yes.. Definitely... :)

CA Final Student

Clcik here to get solution of ur query...!

Do we have any specific forms to be filled , else in new SAHAJ form where to declare this ?

Medical reimb is a perquisite and exemption should be given by employer only after verifying bills. If bills are not submitted to employer, exemption cannot be claimed in ITR

In any case, the correctness of tax paid lies on the Assessee (i,.e, on Employee). There may be cases where some Income like income from Share Trading etc, is not informed to Employer. In such cases, Employer deduct income tax on Salary paid by them only. Similarly, if any thing has been missed to informed to Empoyer and tax has been dedcuted on those amount which is otherwise exempted, may be claim as exemption in Return. In your case, Medical Reimbursement is well eligible as exemption even though ur employer has not considered this amount as exemption.

Thanks for good responses..I too belive , it should be allowed now.

Now the question is how to claim this ? Do we have any specific form? Can we mention it any where in SAHAJ ?

Nothing has  to be submitted except ITR (SAHAJ). Show ur income under head salary  (under serial no. 1)after dedcuting this Medical Reimbursement also.

and for medical bills to support that? Can we submit those with ITR?

Originally posted by : CA Vibhash Kumar Sah

Nothing has  to be submitted except ITR (SAHAJ). Show ur income under head salary  (under serial no. 1)after dedcuting this Medical Reimbursement also.

If u r filing the return online, nothing is required to attached with return. Only the Acknowledgement generate has to be submited to designated office of Income Tax (bangalore address is provided on the Acknowledgement). If any Assessment notice is served on you on any later date, that time you may need to produce the details and supporting. 

LEAVE A REPLY

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to login   Click here to Register

Share on :