Avail 50% discount on all subjects for Nov batch(access till Nov 20th). Use coupon code Nov14.

Please Wait ..

Sign-in to your account

Username:
Password:

Remember Me

Forgot your password?

Sign-up now

Join CAclubindia.com and Share your Knowledge. Registered members get a chance to interact at Forum, Ask Query, Comment etc.

Discussion > Income Tax > Others >

MAT

Pages : 1 2

CA Article Student

[ Scorecard : 313]
Posted On 12 February 2013 at 17:48 Report Abuse

I think MAT is applicable to every company wheather Big or Small. No condition should satisfy for applicability of MAT

Is there any objection to my criteria??

Is there any limit (or) any condition should satisfy for applicability of MAT to the companies?? 

Online classes for CA CS CMA

CA Gaurav Ajit Potdar
Chartered Accountant

[ Scorecard : 596]
Posted On 12 February 2013 at 18:54

MAT is applicable to every company if normal tax payable is less than 18.5% of its book profit.

CA. Dushyant ZALA
PRACTISING C.A.

[ Scorecard : 72]
Posted On 12 February 2013 at 19:01

Yes your are right but  provision of section 115 jb is not applicable in the case of Banking Company.

anjan
student

[ Scorecard : 68]
Posted On 13 February 2013 at 09:02

MAT is applicable to all the companies irrespective of size and nature of the company.

It is applicable to all companies who are require to prepare P&L A/c.

If companies established undered spl acts. then book profit will be calculated as per P&L A/c prepared in accordance with the respective act. this is from the a.y 2013-14.

Previously mat is applicable to those companies who are prepared p&l a/c as per scheduleVI.

Total thanks : 4 times

CA Sanjay Bag
CHARTERED ACCOUNTANT

[ Scorecard : 3315]
Posted On 13 February 2013 at 11:50

As per the provisions of Section 115JB of the Income Tax Act, 1961 MAT is applicable to all companies (including foreign companies).

CA Sanjay Bag
CHARTERED ACCOUNTANT

[ Scorecard : 3315]
Posted On 13 February 2013 at 11:59

No, it is not ture that the MAT is not applicable to Banking Companies. MAT is applicable to it.

Saurabh Maheshwari
B.com,ACA

[ Scorecard : 4900]
Posted On 13 February 2013 at 12:20

Originally posted by : anjan

MAT is applicable to all the companies irrespective of size and nature of the company.

It is applicable to all companies who are require to prepare P&L A/c.

If companies established undered spl acts. then book profit will be calculated as per P&L A/c prepared in accordance with the respective act. this is from the a.y 2013-14.

Previously mat is applicable to those companies who are prepared p&l a/c as per scheduleVI.

But MAT is still not applicable to a company carrying on Life Insurance Business.

Manikanth
CA Article Student

[ Scorecard : 313]
Posted On 13 February 2013 at 12:50

From AY 13-14 onwards MAT is also applicable to the companies which are established under special acts.

Is Banking companies, Insurance companies come under the preview of MAT or not??If not, why these are not included under MAT any reason for it ?

Please Give me the list of companies which are exempted from MAT...

Saurabh Maheshwari
B.com,ACA

[ Scorecard : 4900]
Posted On 13 February 2013 at 13:04

@ Mnikanth earlier(upto AY 2012-13)  Banking , Insurance and Electricity wer exempt from MAT , but w.e.f AY 2013-14(Finance Budget 2012) these were brought to the MAT net.For the purpose of MAT the profits of such companies is Profit as per P&L prepared as per their respective Acts.

However, Co. carrying on Life Insurance business are still exempt from MAT.

Read more from  my article on MAT part-2, where I have focused on the part you are asking for. http://www.caclubindia.com/articles/mat-make-it-easy-part-2-16535.asp#.URtCaeR9ErM

Total thanks : 1 times

Ganeshbabu K
CA FINAL ARTICLE

[ Scorecard : 39093]
Posted On 13 February 2013 at 13:13

PROVISION AS PER SECTION 115JB:

STEP I: Find out tax payable under the normal provision i.e. as per p&l a/c [Tax @ 33.99%(SC*+EC+SHEC)].

STEP II: Find out Book profit** and calculate the tax @
11.33%((SC+EC+SHEC)*.

STEP III: STEP I – STEP II = If more than zero C/F and set of with next year tax credit up to 7 years.

If less then zero Or zero 115JB will not apply.

**BOOK PROFIT AS PER 115JB:

Net profit as per profit& loss account

xxx
ADD:    
Income tax paid or payable xx  
FBT xx  
Proposed dividend or dividend paid xx  
Amount carried to any reserve
(Other than33AC).
xx  
The amount of any expenditure relatable to any income u/s 10(except 10(38)) or 11or 12 will apply. xx  
Provision made to liabilities (Other than ascertained). xx  
Depreciation xx xxx

LESS:

Amount withdrawn from any Reserve or provision. xx  
The amount of any income relatable to any income u/s 10(except 10(38)) or 11or 12 will apply. xx  
Depreciation as per P&L a/c (Except depreciation of revaluation assets) xx  
Amounts withdrawn from revaluation reserves and credited to p&l account, but it does not exceed the amount of depreciation. xx  

The amount of loss B/F or unabsorbed depreciation 
W.E. less, as per book of accounts.

xx  

The amount of profits of sick industries company

xx (xxx)

BOOK PROFIT

xxx

*(surcharge + education cess + higher secondary edu cess)

There are 10 Replies to this message

Related Files