Letter from central processing center bangalore

Balasubramanian (RETIRED) (24 Points)

06 May 2012  

I received a letter in Mrach 2012 from CPC Banaglore intimating me that some amount is due from me for the AY 2005-2006. and 2004-2005. It was not giving me any details of demand notice etc.

For the above AYears I filed the returns at Mumbai thru' a CA my audutor. In 2005 I retired and moved  to Chennai and since then I am filing my returns at Chennai ITO.  I did not receive any demand notice from ITOatt my new address.  At the  old address also I was checking up periodically and no demand notice had come..Kindly clarify the following:-

• Assessment are done after a long time and If the assessee had moved out of an address which was given in the IT returns of any year, will the ITDept continue to send the  demand notice to the old address only, though the  new  address given in the latest IT returnsas  available in the database?
  • If the assessee had moved out of the address given in the IT returns, and no body receives the demand notice, what is the procedure adopted by the IT dept to intimate the assessee about the demand?
  • Will Chennai office  have my files/ returns or details about the demand for the returns filed at Mumbai? If I approach Chennai office will they be able to give details of demand?
  • My CA at Mumbai is not traceble. How can I get the details from Mumbai ITO?
  • Why CPC cannot attach the copy of the demand letter along with the recent communication?
  • Now that almost all the records and operations are computerised in IT Dept. why IT dept. cannot  be more assessee freiendly?

Balasubramanian