close x

Is VAT and Service Tax both applicable?

Practising Cost Accountant. Core area- Central Excise. Service Tax Costing system installation including maintenance of Cost Records and Cost Audit and Management Audit mainly Revenue leakages Audit

I have observed that one of the most famous 5 star hotel in kolkata charges both service tax and VAT on their total Bill value. Do you have any knowledge on this? is it covered under any notification if so pl inform me.

Thanks in advance,

S. Banerjee

banerjee.sambhu @ rediffmail.com

Originally posted by :S. Banerjee
"

I have observed that one of the most famous 5 star hotel in kolkata charges both service tax and VAT on their total Bill value. Do you have any knowledge on this? is it covered under any notification if so pl inform me.

Thanks in advance,

S. Banerjee

pls check ur mail...!!

"

Accounts Manager

Please state whether both VAT and servicetax is charged for the same item. If yes, it is mere looting, this can be taken to repective authorities. Hotels can charge VAT on food items and Service tax on Room rents.

Hotel can't charged service tax on food bills.

Yes VAT and Service Tax can be applicable in the Hotel.

if hotel is providing any service at the time of dinner or lunch like mandap keeping or catering then it can charge both vAT and service tax in the appropriate ratio

Hotels are covered under "Convention Service" or "Mandap Keeper Service"(note that since they cater at their OWN premises, outdoor catering service is not attracted).

Under the above 2 services, hotels can take an abatement(viz charge service tax on 40% of the bill value). However, many simply do not bother or care to do so.

Regarding VAT, the normal VAT rate of 12.5% is applicable on hotel food. This is over & above luxury tax etc if any applicable.

Total thanks : 1 times

What is the Vat Rates  applicable in  Computer Software Exporting Company?

Chartered Accountant

Originally posted by :S. Banerjee
" I have observed that one of the most famous 5 star hotel in kolkata charges both service tax and VAT on their total Bill value. Do you have any knowledge on this? is it covered under any notification if so pl inform me.
Thanks in advance,
S. Banerjee
"

Dear Banerjee,

If it is a restaurant then they can only charge the VAT and no service tax.

If a mandap etc then ST and VAT can be charged on portions with no overlap as per the decision of the SC in the case of BSNL - on value of services no VAT is chargeable and on value of sale no service tax is chargeable.

hotel bsiness vat notification

Manager - Accounts

Hi Experts,

Kindly let me know the VAT rates applicable to Hotels & Resturatants.

Thanks

ThiruKumaran

LEAVE A REPLY

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to login   Click here to Register

Share on :