Interest on capital gains tax

VIVEK SINHA (Exec Ed) (62 Points)

16 November 2015  

Hi,

Is one liable to pay interest on late payment of capital gains tax even if the payment is made within 5 days of gains accrual?

The case context goes like this.. so I sold shares converted out of ESOPS of my pvt firm to a firm that acquired it. I received the payment on some March 25th and I paid the full capital gains tax due in 4-5 days. While filing the ITR I mentioned it as advanced tax paid. I reckon the last day for payment of adv tax in a year is March 15. But what is the way in case the gains itself acrues after that date? I mean I didn't even have the cash to pay the tax amount before I received the money that I did get eventually. I am totally intrigued how can this be. I mean the interest penalty.

The ITR letter that i have received says total interest liability of Rs 2612 under Sec 234C.

The capital gains was Rs 15.45 lakh and being under the top income bracket I paid Rs 4.77 lakh as advance tax.

The in-house CA gave contrasting views. Initially he had told me if I submit the tax within first week of April 2015 there won't be any tax liability. But now he is saying maybe there is a liability as it was deposited after March 15 and advanced tax has to be paid as an anticipated tax.