Avail 50% discount on All CS & CMA subjects for Dec batch . Use coupon code Dec14

Please Wait ..

Sign-in to your account

Username:
Password:

Remember Me

Forgot your password?

Sign-up now

Join CAclubindia.com and Share your Knowledge. Registered members get a chance to interact at Forum, Ask Query, Comment etc.

Discussion > Income Tax > TDS >

Interest calculation on Late payment of TDS

Pages : 1 2

Consultancy in International Taxation

[ Scorecard : 31]
Posted On 05 April 2011 at 17:40 Report Abuse

Dear friends

Kindly resolve my below doubt.

Suppose a payment u/s 194C is made on 25/02/2011 and TDS is also deducted on 25/02/2011 as per TDS Rules. But this TDS is deposited to the Govt. treasory on 10/03/2011. Now my query is whether interest u/s 201(1A) @ 1.5% shall be levied for one month or two months ??

Regards

M N Jain (posted on 05/04/2011)

Online classes for CA CS CMA

Devendra
M.COM CA Final [Group 2- Cleared] CS Professional

[ Scorecard : 4446]
Posted On 05 April 2011 at 17:43

THE INTEREST ON TDS WILL BE CHARGED FOR 1 MONTH @ 1.50% PER MONTH.

Total thanks : 1 times

Avinash c
CA - Final

[ Scorecard : 83]
Posted On 05 April 2011 at 18:28

Tds deducted for the current month has to be deposited on or before 7th of the following month of the month so deducted, For late deposit of TDS after deduction: Intererst @ 1.5% for every
month or part of the month.

Joydip Chaubey
CA-Final Student Former Article Assistant now Self Employed

[ Scorecard : 41]
Posted On 06 April 2011 at 10:06

INTEREST @ 1.5% PER MONTH OR PART OF THE MONTH WILL BE CHARGEABLE AFTER BECOMING DEFAULT IN DEPOSIT OF TDS WITHIN 7TH OF THE SUCCEEDING MONTH FOR APRIL TO FEB AND 30TH APRIL FOR MARCH MONTH..IN THIS CASE THE DUE DATE WAS 7TH MARCH,11 WITHIN WHICH IT WAS NOT DEPOSITED.AND DATE OF DEPOSIT IS 10TH MARCH,11.ONLY 3DAYS ELAPSED.SO IT COMES UNDER THE PURVIEW OF PART OF THE MONTH i.e. LESS THAN ONE MONTH AND INTEREST WILL BE CHARGED @ 1.5% ONLY FOR THE MONTH OF MARCH,11.NO QUESTION OF 2 MONTHS.

saurabh sharma
Manager Accounts

[ Scorecard : 21]
Posted On 06 April 2011 at 10:42

As per Sec 201 (1A) Interest will be charged  @ 1% till 30th june2010 & 1.5% from 1st July 2010 per month or part of the month on the amount of such tax from the date on which such tax was deductible to the date on which such tax is actually paid. Hence this seems to be Interest levied for Two Months as per your case.

And this is also a practical calculation which TDS officials are taking at the time of finalisation of the TDS Assessments. 

Mahesh Kumar
Advocate

[ Scorecard : 22]
Posted On 06 April 2011 at 14:30

as per sec 201(1A) intt will be charged @ 1%till 30th june 2010 and 1.5% from july 2010 onward per month or part of the month

Bhupati Hrishi Sharma
Finance & Tax Consultant

[ Scorecard : 22]
Posted On 08 April 2011 at 18:01

What if I deducted the TDS on unpaid salary on 31st of march-11, and paiying in the 2nd week of April-11, what is last date of payment for 192A/192B if the salary is credited on 31.3.2011?

RAVI GOYAL
Chartered Accountant

[ Scorecard : 48]
Posted On 05 January 2012 at 13:14

Friends

For this Query M.N.Jain, I would like to quote wording of Section 201(1A) .....principal officer does not deduct the whole or any part of the tax or after deducting fails to pay the tax as required by or under this Act, he or it shall be liable to pay simple interest,—

(i)   at one per cent for every month or part of a month on the amount of such tax from the date on which such tax was deductible to the date on which such tax is deducted; and

(ii)   at one and one-half per cent for every month or part of a month on the amount of such tax from the date on which such tax was deducted to the date on which such tax is actually paid,

Now Mr. Jain's query falls in Sub Section (ii) of Section 201(1A). In this Query

Date of Deduction is 25.02.2011

Due Date of Deposit is 07.03.2011

& Date of Deposit is 10.03.2011

Two Part Months are there (February and March) so literally 1.5% for Every Part Month makes it to 3% for Two part months.

In my View Effective Rate of Interest for delay in deposit is 3%

(Kindly Correct me if  i am wrong in my interpretation)

jaya
accountant

[ Scorecard : 97]
Posted On 05 January 2012 at 14:42

THE INTEREST ON TDS WILL BE CHARGED FOR 1 MONTH @ 1% PER MONTH.

Vineet Goyal
Finance & Accounts Executive

[ Scorecard : 517]
Posted On 05 January 2012 at 14:45

It will be for one month. Interest is charged from date of deduction to date of deposit which in your case is less than a month. It will be rounded up to one month.

There are 12 Replies to this message

Related Files