Income tax return query

AmitD (MBA) (27 Points)

25 July 2014  

Hi 

I am a professional and get fees through various companies for professional advisory - i have two linked queries and will be obliged if i can be guided on the same

The March Invoice that i had raised was paid out in April - i had also deposited the Service tax for same in April May June quarter. However when i checked the 26AS the TDS for march invoice was submitted by the company in March itself

Should i consider this in my filing of income tax - if i do then the results will not match with service tax return that i have filed and if i dont then my return will not match with Form 26AS (also my corresponding total income will be higher as expenses against that happened after receipt only)

Second query is also linked - the invoice that i raise shows my fees and service tax seperately. Erroneously the comapny was deducting TDS on total amount so in the form 26AS also they have showed the total amount (Fees + Service Tax) itself and not just the fees component

Please guide if i should show only my fees as the earning in IT return or should i show the same number as in form 26AS and include service tax submitted as an expenses so that the numbers match

I basically want to avoid questioning later on even though my numbers are clean as it can lead to a lot of waste of time

Please advise the best way to minimize chances of questioning later on