Income Tax refund adjusted against old demand abruptly and suddenly without giving any chance for ex

ninadra (Others) (91 Points)

06 November 2023  

I got two emails on my registered email ID from Income Tax India on 03rd Nov 2023...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First email regarding proposal of adjusting outstanding demand against refund amount, I received around 5.22 P.M on 03rd Nov 2023, at first email it was mentioned that,

"Your refund is proposed to be adjusted against an outstanding demand(s) − Kindly respond
Intimation u/s 245 of Income Tax Act, 1961" alongwith details of outstanding demand payable u/s 220(2)....

Further it was mentioned that,

"The outstanding demand as on that date will be considered for adjustment against your refund, if you do not take any action within 21 days from the date of this communication."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After above mentioned first email I immediately got second email on 03rd Nov 2023 just after 1 minute at 5.23 p.m of proposal email, regarding "Details of refund adjusted against demand(s)" vide which they hve informed that 

Your return for the A.Y. 2023-24 has been processed on date 06-09-2023 determining a refund of Rs. XXXXX The said refund is adjusted against the following outstanding demand(s).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please let me know can anything be done now, because at Income Tax India Portal at outstanding demand it is not showing any outstanding demand pending now.

Please guide. Thanks..