I-T raid in Alcatel-Lucent

shailesh agarwal (professional accountant)   (7642 Points)

27 February 2009  

I-T raid in Alcatel-Lucent's Gurgaon office

New Delhi (PTI): The Income Tax Department today searched the Gurgaon office of global telecom company Alcatel-Lucent for suspected evasion of tax deduction at source (TDS) by the firm on goods and services sold in India.

Official sources in the I-T Department said the raids were conducted at the head office of Alcatel-Lucent in Gurgaon, near here.

When contacted a company spokesperson told PTI, "The visit of the I-T Department is part of normal and regular routine survey."

Alcatel-Lucent is a global telecommunication corporation, headquartered in Paris. It provides telecommunication solutions to service providers, enterprises and governments around the world, enabling these customers to deliver voice, data and video services.

The company had recently expressed interest to expand its India operations in view of huge growth, especially in the telecom mobile sector.

It has also entered into a joint venture with state-owned telecom equipment company ITI to bid for BSNL's tender. The joint venture has bagged a prestigious order for supplying mobile network in one of the zones.

Sources said the company is suspected of evading TDS on goods and services sold in India and the department raided the office to ascertain the quantum of tax evasion, if any.